SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Ken Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 02:22:46 -0700
I actually saw it in HK in july--the effects and choreography are excellent,
the best I've seen (the choreographer is the same HK choreographer that did
the matrix). It is, however, not a very good movie--though as a rather
embarrassing series of circumstances, after dying of excitement to see it (I
like Ang Lee and Chow Yun Fat a lot, and the trailers are pretty
incredible), I saw the cantonese version. I speak Mandarin. The movie,
though, seems very over sentimental in the sense that a B-hollywood
blockbuster is--there are the requisite slow motion scenes, syrupy music,
etc., and one can't help think that Ang Lee started making a wrong turn
after he finished his FATHER KNOWS BEST trilogy.  The trailers for this film
are already being shown in the US and I think it is being released in
winter. There is a web site--very good, very slick and flash-y, but not that
informative at www.crouchingtiger.com and also, ang lee's film company is
www.goodmachine.com

Incidentally, Chow Yun Fat is only in it for about twenty minutes and though
he and Michelle Yeoh are good in it, the film is really a vehicle for Zhang
Zi Yi, who previously had only been in a Zhang Yimou film. Does that help/?
I tell you whatever else.

Thanks
Ken