SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Michael Sime <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 05:41:39 -0400
>Thought I'd take a moment to de-lurk and ask a question regarding
>industrial/training films. Most of my experience is in writing features. I've
>never written anything like the industrial. I have an opportunity to write
>one now and am soliciting advice on any formatting tweaks that might be
>necessary. To be specific, What expectations do these smaller production
>companies have regarding screenplays?

They will expect a script like "Citizen Kane" but with a budget of "El
Marachai"

>Do I need to spend more effort to make
>this a shooting script or can I stick with my selling script style?

work with the producer to make a script that can be followed, allowing
for no screwing around the day of the shoot. Having the client able to
say "why don't we try/do/shoot this?", invariably leads to overtime,
which, of course, they don't want to pay for. Wanna hear about my
conversation yesterday with the Executive producer wife of teh director I
worked with last  Thursday on an industrial? Something about the extra 3
& 1/2 hours we worked on what was SUPPOSED to be a 10 hour day.

>I am also
>unsure of any pricing standards that are established. Does WGA cover this?

I SERIOUSLY doubt it. I don't think I have EVER seen a
corporate/industrial (not for broadcast) that was unionized. Sometimes
I'm able to find a client with deep pockets that will pay my commerical
rate, but that's usually for a real schmaltzy job that they're willing to
go all out for. it really depends on your client and how much experience
they have in putting together videos, you need to remember that most have
ABSOLUTLEY NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what it takes, and more importantly, what
it COSTS to make a high-quality production. The two hours I have to light
a book for a commerical DEFINITLEY won't be there on an industrial.
They're just not gonna pay for it. They'll want the look, they just won't
want the cost.

>Perhaps there are other ideosyncracies that I'm missing. I'd appreciate any
>ideas someone experienced in this format could share with me. I am, of
>course, researching the topic through the normal channels, but it is nice to
>get a little advice from someone who's been there.

been there...done that...and remember this, and repeat it like a
mantra....

"Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

and your script will be the prior planning!
Good luck-

Mike
off to shoot a CD ROM today..

Mike Sime            <[log in to unmask]>
Video Schmideo!      <[log in to unmask]>
    <http://www.intac.com/~frelancr>
It's not the time it takes to take the takes,
it's the time it takes BETWEEN the takes,
that takes the time to take the takes.