SCREEN-L Archives

August 2001, Week 4

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:53:32 +1000
Thanks for that URL, Scott.  I guess the term 'world premiere' must be a
flexible one!  The 'LA Times' article last Sunday about the Solvang
production definitely speaks of 'the first stage version of Arthur
Laurents' screenplay for "Rope"', and observes that '[w]orld premieres
with "Rope's" pedigree are rare coups for regional institutions such as
PCPA'.

And thanks, Leo, for the fascinating observation about [Farley]
Granger's apparent expertise when playing the Poulenc piece in the
film.  I don't recall ever hearing about whether his playing was live or
dubbed (by him or by someone else), but will make inquiries.

- Ken Mogg.
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin

P.S. Didn't someone on this site pull me up a while ago about my saying
that the fairground scene in Hitchcock's MR AND MRS SMITH (1942) is set
at the New York World's Fair?  The person thought that the setting is
Coney Island.  Well, I notice that Prof. Peter Conrad's new book, 'The
Hitchcock Murders' (Faber), says this: 'The [scene is set in] the
grounds where the World's Fair was held in 1939'.  Sounds like neither
of us (me or my 'corrector') got it quite right.