SCREEN-L Archives

June 1996, Week 1

From:
Jeff Apfel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 07:24:02 -0700
I'm a latecomer to this thread.  Some of the issues here arre similar to those
tossed around over at (believe it or not) the Johnny Depp discussion on this
same channel.

To Murray and Meryam, a phrase from the old Certs commercial: stop, you're both
right!

I may be wrong, but I don't think Murray would quarrel with a student who, like
Meryam, objected to the drowned woman in Short Cuts, then using this objection
as a means by which the film and/or filmmaker and or filmmaker's cultural
baggage could be analyzed and critiqued.  It seemed to me from his original
posting that Murray was objecting to a particular style of foreclosing analysis
and debate, whether on the grounds of ideology or just rampant laziness.

It seems to me that there is always a danger that a teacher will mistake a
paradigm shift for ideology, and thereby unfairly complain that the students
just don't get it.  But the process of differentiating the two, imperfect as it
is, goes with the job, doesn't it?

Jeff Apfel