SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Sandy Camargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:41:14 -0600
Mimi Hanson has a super article about the gaze in Rudolph Valentino's
movies: if he looks first at the woman, then it's true love; if the woman
looks at him first (in just the objectifying way described here by Mike),
then she's doomed. Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that it isn't
only the act of looking but how the narrative codes that act. Since I don't
know SARATOGA TRUNK, I don't know if Bergman's gaze is ratified or punished
by the narrative as a whole.

Sandy Camargo
Department of English
University of Missouri