SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1992 07:32:42 -0500
>I don't know how topical this is, but it sure is interesting...
>the "fiction based on characters" of Star Trek was discussed in an
>underground paper here in Richmond. Specific in the article was mention
>of a series of gay "romance" novellas involving Spock and Kirk. I'm
>not making this up. The article noted that most were written by lesbian
>fans of the show, and are not intended as parodies at all, but rather new
>twists on what some fans think was latent in the orginial (ie, Spock and
>Kirk had something unsaid going on).

I have done some research work on this participatory fan writing.  Your
Richmond paper is correct--they are most definitely not parodies.  The
style of these fanzines is, in many cases, closer to the tone of the
Original Series than some of the commercial novelizations put out by
Paramount.  Indeed, slash (for K/S--Kirk/Spock) fanzines are now the most
common form of Trek fan writing.  You can get a listing of these stories
from Datazine (Denver CO--I don't remember the number, anyone can write me
directly if they want more information).  Personally, I think these
magazines are really interesting--worth checking out...

bye,

Elrod Ax.
Williams College.

a.k.a.    Jeremiah (Jem) Borenstein Chaim Axelrod
AOL       Elrod Ax / JeremiahA2
GEnie    JAxelrod2
USMail  Jem Axelrod  63 North St.  Williamstown MA 01267  U.S.A.
MaBell  413 458.9508