SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 5

Sender:
From:
Allan Cameron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:31:35 NZST

Mark writes:
> These statistics are probably true, however, it is an industry which is
> rapidly changing. THe concept of a 'film school' is fairly recent,
> compared to something like 'art school' or 'music school'. Since many of
> many in Hollywood today started their careers before film becoming a
> common university degree, there should be a large number of people
> without them. However, now there are more people than ever in film
> school, many who have tremendous experince as well. So future film
> employers have the ability to choose both experience and education.
>
> Also, film school does offer many internship possibilities which aren't
> attainable elsewhere, but I imagine that that varies depending on the
> strength of the industry in the are where the school resides.

I know this is at a bit of a tangent, but I am myself considering
attending a film school (in Vancouver, BC, Canada), and would be
interested in any advice you (or anyone on screen-l) could give me on
this matter. It seems to me that "film school" refers to two types of
institution: universities (which tend to offer a 4-yr programme), and
independent film schools (shorter time span, higher cost). The former
mixes technical instruction with humanities-based courses; the latter
is more "industry-focussed".

As someone who would like eventually to be able to make films
independently, I would be grateful for any info on the pros and cons
of these two varieties of film school. Do the advantages (some of
which are mentioned above) of attending a film school apply more to
one variety than to the other?

Thanks in advance,
Allan.