SCREEN-L Archives

August 1994

From:
Patrick B Bjork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 23:10:23 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 14:23:29 -0500
From: Steven Mintz, U. Houston <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list H-FILM <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Audience manipulation in recent film

From: priscilla stearns barlow <[log in to unmask]>

Patrick Bjork wrote:

perhaps movie-going, pre-WWII  Americans
were more readerly, more literate and, if so, it may stand to reason
that
they could more readily appreciate subtlety and nuance, and could also
more comfortably absorb a slower, more dialogue-laden pace. Anyone care
to play around with this conjecture?

_______
I'd add that they also listened to the radio a lot, and therefore were
more accustomed to having stories narrated via dialogue than audiences
are today.

I say this even though I don't want to add to any we're-going-to-hell
in-a-handbasket handwringing sessions.  It's just that it's easy to
overlook those aspects of popular culture that have died out when
we analyse a situation--I'm thinking not just of radio drama, but also
serial publication of novels, movie fan magazines--stuff like that.

Priscilla Barlow   [log in to unmask]   "Beauty like hers is genius."