SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
"J. Emmett Winn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:31:43 -0600
Since I was one of the folks who suggested Bordwell's and Thompson's _Film
Art_ I guess I should weigh in also.  I like the sophisticated treatment that
the book offers and the fact that it both challenges students and offers them
glimpses of films with which they are unfamiliar. I have always balanced it
with more familiar texts by showing the students "pretty mainstream movies" as
class examples and then discussing the film using B&T's readings as the
framework for the discussion.  It has worked well for me.

>===== Original Message From Film and TV Studies Discussion List
>That's a great story from Dr. Monti, though of course it's got to be at
>least as much about gender as anti-intellectualism in film studies.
>Though I understand the cautionary lesson of that student's letter, I
>maintain some optomism that we can blend the theoretically sophisticated
>with the student-friendly in a way that entertains while impressing
>students that we mean (analytic) business.  I regard scholars such as
>Bordwell, Thompson, and Staiger as important parts of that mix.
>Thompson's new book should be helpful in that regard as well.
>    BTW, has anyone got good scholarship on the teeny-bopper movies,
>especially ones focusing on girls?  I have students probing deviance and
>revenge against guys/adults in movies such as The Craft, Heathers,
>Heavenly Creatures, Wild Things, Jawbreakers, Carrie, etc.  The slasher
>movies are well covered, but I'd like to see chapters/articles on the
>other movies as well.  thanks.
>
>Neal King
>Belmont University Sociology
>http://www.belmont.edu/sociology/classes/popcult.htm
>
>----
>Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
>University of Alabama: http://www.tcf.ua.edu

-----------------------------------
Dr. J. Emmett Winn
Assistant Professor