SCREEN-L Archives

January 1998, Week 2

From:
"Lisa R. Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:38:20 -0500
I am wondering if anybody might have any ideas on recent films depicting
single mothers -- either as main characters or incidental characters?  I
have most of the classics, and of course there are the Terminators, Jerry
Maguire, Postcards from the Edge, etc.  However, the only movies I get to
see with any regularity are those nasty Disney flicks and other children's
animated features (my son is 6 years old).  So, I don't get to see adult
movies very often.  This is my area of research for my dissertation, so any
thoughts would be appreciated.  You can either respond to the list, or
respond to me privately, if you have any good ideas.  (By recent films, I
mean post 1960 -- I guess it's not that recent, huh?)

Lisa :-)

=======================================
"There is nothing revolutionary whatsoever about the control of women's
bodies by men.  The woman's body is the terrain on which patriarchy is
erected."
                                        --Adrienne Rich
Lisa R. Barry
Ph.D. Candidate