SCREEN-L Archives

May 2005, Week 4

From:
William Lingle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 12:04:42 -0700
A colleague is looking for a film to show that captures the hubris of
European culture in the first decade of the 20th century, just before World
War I -- the idea that everything had been invented, the world was an
orderly place divided up among the imperial powers, that culture had
reached its zenith.  Ophuls' La Ronde has been suggested, but I think there
might be a better one, perhaps set in France or Britain rather than Vienna.
She doesn't want a war film, so La Grande Illusion, All Quiet, The Big
Parade, Paths of Glory et al won't work.  A film like The Remains of the
Day, set pre-World War I, might work, but even that might be too explicitly
war linked.  Any suggestions?

William M. Lingle
Professor and Head
Department of Mass Communication