SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Bill Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:42:49 EDT
I seem to catch these posts mid-stream.  Anyway, we've recently been
discussing unfilmable films on another listserv (Presence) --  If I'm taking
this discussion in an entirely different direction, I apologize.

The filmic Fear and Loathing transcends our understanding of the print
version, more so  to help us better understand Thompson's (aka Raoul Duke)
take on the sixties culture and the paranoid milieu that it begets in the
1970s.

However, in the book, he faults his sixties counterparts for falling into the
trap of subscribing to Tim Leary's "consciousness expanding" drug as a way to
better understand reality (isn't this essentially what film is all about?) --
However, Thompson claims to have used that (and numerous other drugs) for
quite the opposite -- not so much as a better way to understand reality, but
rather an escape from it, therefore distorting it.  He hated the time in
which he lived, hated the Nixon Administration yet he often wrote about it as
if it were near and dear to him. I doubt Thompson's escape is anything close
to a heightened mental state.

bill

<<