SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Jonna E M Roos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 20:28:21 +0200
On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, jajasoon tlitteu wrote
> This is probably the most politically engaged film that's come out
> of Hollywood this year (or longer) - the only film I saw this year that
> comes close was the British film Priest.

This is just the problem I've been critizing.

Hollywood portrays the "reality" as it wants and as the executives and
producers in major studios want (and the transnational companies which
own the film studios.)  I wouldn't mind if there would be
hundrends of other "realities" and "truths" made. Actually there are,
but the films are never shown for big audiences. For example in Finland
about 80-90% of films shown in theaters are from mainstream Hollywood.
And I think this is the case in most of the countries in the world.

I think it is good to have any kinds of films. We do need Dead Man
Walking, Philadelphia, Malcolm X etc. There are people who enjoy and
learn about those films. But I think that it is my right (or anyone
else's) to critize films, if they aren't as great as many people seem to think.
By critizing films we learn more and want different kind of films to be
made.

But the issue here is who produces films, who gets films done and who
sees them. These affects all of us and how we see the "reality" and act
in it. Why Dead Man Walking was made and not the film about political
prisoners who are in death row?

Jonna Roos