SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:15:57 -0600
I'm just curious about what people here think about the amount of media
attention in the last week given to the new center for the study of
popular television at Syracuse University.  I have seen or heard it
mentioned or discussed by several newspaper columnists and on public
radio, among other places.

The content of these discussions is often distressingly predictable
(see Russell Baker's recent column, for example), but I have to wonder
Why Syracuse?  It's not as if the study of popular TV is all *that*
new.  The Bowling Green program has been around for a long time, as
have individual books and courses on TV at many places, so I'm not sure
why Syracuse is getting all the attention.

Any thoughts?

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite