SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Ken Mogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 09:02:20 +1100
Forgive me, I think I hit the 'Delete' key on an earlier posting
inquiring about literature on symbolism in Hitchcock and Bunuel.

Assuming that there was such an inquiry ...

There's a fine essay, "Hitchcock and Bunuel: Authority, Desire, and the
Absurd", by Robert Stam, in Raubicheck & Srebnick (eds), 'Hitchcock's
Rereleased Films: From Rope to Vertigo' (1991).

In my own book, 'The Alfred Hitchcock Story' (1999) the entry on
CHAMPAGNE likens that film's recurring shot of a  champagne glass to the
recurring sound of harness bells in Bunuel's BELLE DE JOUR.  And the
entry on SPELLBOUND likens the scissoring of the drapes with eyes
painted on them, in the dream sequence, to the razor's slashing the eye
in Bunuel/Dali's UN CHIEN ANDALOU.  I give it a sexual meaning, whereas
I understand that Bill Krohn's forthcoming 'Hitchcock at Work' (French
and English editions), while drawing the same parallel, takes a slightly
different interpretative tack.

- Ken Mogg (author, 'The Alfred Hitchcock Story').
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite