SCREEN-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 00:09:55 +0900
From:
John Dougill <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
There was a long discussion last year about Blow-Up, a film which like
Performance shortly afterwards hovers on the edge of incomprehensibility in
true sixties style.  Both have been written about a lot, and there's a BFI
book on the latter.  Jeff Beck of the Yardbirds was in the former and later
claimed it was a load of meaningless nonsense: Sarah Miles asked Antonioni
what her character was about and he replied 'It does not matter'.  When she
asked him afterwards what the ending was about with a tennis match with no
ball and painted trees he replied 'Is for the critics'.  'For me,' she said,
'it was a typical example of the Emperor's new clothes.'  Quotes from
Biography of British Film I think it's called but I haven't got the book to
hand at the moment...