SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Robert Crooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 22:10:13 -0400
Mike,

It seems to me that the most compelling reason for using video is analagous to
the reason we use Norton Critical Editions when we teach literature--studying
texts is quite a different activity from the more common forms of consuming
texts (or what we would like to think are more common forms under the
assumption that people do read books outside school) and special forms of texts
are best suited to that odd activity.  Specifically, the great advantage of
video, it seems to me is the ability to manipulate special effects--freeze
frame, varying speeds of slow or fast motion in either direction, etc.  I would
even venture to say that videodisks are even better suited than tapes, if they
have search capabilities or other means of quickly locating specific frames.

A. Scholar