SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 4

From:
Jesse Burden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 20:31:16 CST

The show of which I am speaking, _A T.V. Dante_, was shown on Channel 4
(London) in the late 1980's. I am not sure about the exact date that it was
aired, the history of it's development, or even Peter Greenaway's role in
producing/directing. I do remember that it was a collaboration with
someone who also worked with him on _Prospero's Books._ It shared the
visual layering style but had a much looser <ambiguous> mise-en-scene or
narrative space. Sir John Guilgoud plays the main part (or he
might have been Virgil) but the narrative shows the travels through the
rings of hell, depicting some characters along the way. It is very worth
seeing and it is unfortunanate that it has not made it to the U.S. other
than through a past professor of mine who taught a course on Peter
Greenaway.

My posting about this televisual production was related to the original
posting concerning _Prospero's Books_ I realize
that I may have been unclear for anyone who had not read the original
posting, but I am used to following the messages regularly. Rarely do I
put the original in with my own message (Re: Clutter) but perhaps this is
a lesson. Tsssk tsssk.

The possibilities that it may suggest are available for the design of an
interface for a CD-Rom seemed worthy of mention to someone interested in
writing about this. As for unclear flames...?!
What is meant by this?
Or better yet...Shine on, little flame.                    Jesse Burden