SCREEN-L Archives

August 1992

Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1992 12:27:57 PDT
Cal Pryluck's caveat regarding the verissimilitude of the AFI Guide to
Film Schools is very well taken. The listings are about as accurate as
the information supplied by the individual schools, and anyone who has
had experience reading course descriptions in most course catalogs
should be familiar with the unreliability of academic descriptions, or,
to state the case more charitably, the gap between aspirations and
accomplishment.

When undergraduates come to us for advice about graduate film
programs, my colleagues and I are happy to share our knowledge, opinions and
biases, but we very strongly recommend that they visit the school(s) to
talk with both faculty and students. Similarly, when prospective
applicants visit us, we insist that they talk with current students. In
addition to the financial investment, there is the rather more serious
investment of time, and applicants need to be absolutely sure that there
is a very good fit between their needs and the capabilities of the
graduate program.

The other side of this issue is the need for film schools to be
rigorous, precise and honest (I almost wrote "modest") and "up-front"
about what they do best, adequately, inadequately, or not at all.

-Henry Breitrose
 Dept. of Communication
 Stanford