SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 2

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 13:22:08 -0500
Elfman had a hard time getting regard, because he is the composer and lead
singer for Oingo Boingo, which he brought to an end on Hallowe'en of 1995.
His song _Insanity_ appears on the album _Boingo_ (which now seems to be
available only in the cut-out bins), as well as the live _Farewell_ album.
He sings the end title for _Midnight Run_ with Oingo Boingo, credited as
"Mosley and the B-Men," presumably for some screwy union rules, as the
voice is clearly his, and a song by the same title apperas on _Dark at the
End of the Tunnel_.  I just read of this in _Film Score Monthly_, so I
don't know whose project is from.  Now I've just checked the imdb, and
it's Mary Harron, starring Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, and Jared Leto.
It list it as being due in 1999 from producers Edward R. Pressman and
Chris Hanley.  Elfman is also on contract to write, produce, and direct
three films for Disney.  The only other person I know of to work up from
composer to director is Shuki Levy, who directed _Blind Vision_ and
_Turbo:  A Power Rangers Movie_.

Scott

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Jim Marsden wrote:

> Scott Hutchins wrote:
>
> > It seems there is to be a film of _American Psycho_, with music by Danny
> > Elfman.  I wonder if they'll have him sing "Insanity" for commercial
> > reasons.  I shouldn't say that:  were I to film my third novel (not
> > currently finished), I would want to use the song in the film for artistic
> > reasons.
>
> I think Elfman is one of the better composers for film now working (witness
 his
> work with Tim Burton), but I didn't know he also sings--is this true? And who
> is to direct--maybe David Cronenberg? Difficult to conceive of this project on
> screen, without serious toning down of the violence.
>
> Jim Marsden/Bryant College
>
> ----
> To sign off SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

University of Alabama.