SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:51:26 +0100
Dear Colleagues,

Here at the University of Karlstad in Karlstad, Sweden, we have traditional
academic film studies and media and communications in the same department.
We are CONSIDERING, most likely from next FAll 1998, a postion for a person
that can take care of the Film Studies courses half time and work half time
in Media and Communications. Since we haven't been able to locate anybody
yet in Sweden with both qualifications, I write this to you in hopes that
there may be interested parties in other parts of the world. The film
studies has only undergraduate level courses while the media and
communications courses go up to graduate level.

We have a rather international Humanities department and specifically the
media section of Canadians, American, Norwegian, and Swedish faculty. Since
living in Sweden may not suit everybody, any eventual announced position
would probably be for a year to start with, then if everybody was in
agreement, a permanent tenured position would be announced for the person
to apply for. There is no tenure track here. You get it automatically when
gaining a Senior Lecturer position. Any person teaching here would be able
to do it in English and be expected to learn Swedish if they stayed on
permanently.

So anybody interested in a possible position here and can teach in both
disciplines, and has a terminal degree, Ph.D or MFA or the like, please
send me an e-mail and a CV (either pasted in the e-mail message or as an MS
WORD or ClarisWorks document attachment). I will in turn talk to our
department head and let him know of interested parties. When and if a
position will be announced I will then contact all interested parties.

Karlstad is located in the (sort of) middle of Sweden, 350 km from
Stockholm and about 250 km from both Gothenburg and Oslo, Norway. We have
about 8,000 students here and about 600 faculty in a number of disciplines.
The area is beautiful, with many forests and lakes, and steeped in
folklore.

The university server is: www.hks.se
The media server is: www.media.hks.se

Cheers,

Bert Deivert

BERT DEIVERT   Senior Lecturer, Film + Media Studies
University of Karlstad,SWEDEN     Voice: 46-54-83 81 06
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]       Fax: 46-54-83 84 96
WWW: http://www.hks.se/~bertd/bertd.html