SCREEN-L Archives

May 1993

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1993 11:05:12 CST
    Coming soon...

    An on-line, "real time" conference for discussing film/TV issues.

    I'm currently working on a set-up that will allow us to gather at a
    central spot in the Internet and chat about film/TV in real time.  That
    is, we'll be able to type messages and have them >instantaneously< read
    by the discussion's participants.

    It's something I've been interested in for SCREEN-L, but which is not
    possible through listservs and the e-mail upon which they're dependent.
    A real time (I hate that phrase; what other type of time is there?)
    discussion permits an >immediate< exchange of views.

    The mechanism through which this will be accomplished is PMC-MOO, a new
    service just started up by the electronic, Internet-distributed
    journal, POSTMODERN CULTURE.  Here's their announcement of it:

             _Postmodern Culture_ announces PMC-MOO.

PMC-MOO is a new service offered (free of charge) by _Postmodern
Culture_.  PMC-MOO is a real-time, text-based, virtual reality
environment in which you can interact with other subscribers of
the journal and participate in live conferences.  PMC-MOO will
also provide access to texts generated by the journal and by PMC-
TALK, and it will provide the opportunity to experience (or help
to design) programs which simulate object-lessons in postmodern
theory.  PMC-MOO is based on the LambdaMOO program, freeware by
Pavel Curtis.

To connect to PMC-MOO, you *must* be on the internet.  If you
have an internet account, you can make a direct connection by
typing the command

telnet dewey.lib.ncsu.edu 7777      or
telnet 152.1.24.90 7777

at your command prompt.  Once you've connected to the server, you
will receive onscreen instructions on how to log in to PMC-MOO.
If you have problems connecting to PMC-MOO or would like more
information, contact [log in to unmask] by e-mail.

    -------------------------end of original message-------------------

    Included in the PMC-MOO environment is a Conference Room where folks
    can meet and discuss issues.  What I plan to do is establish a time
    >each week< when users interested in film/TV can convene in the
    Conference Room.

    I haven't fully tested this out yet, but I'd suggest that those of you
    interested in such a real time conference go ahead and check out
    PMC-MOO so that you can get a feel for the place.  It's fairly easy to
    get around in (easier, say, than CompuServe or GEnie), but it takes a
    little getting used to.

    The one thing I'm perplexed about is:  when would be a good date/time
    to hold such a conference each week?   Should it be a weekday?  A
    weeknight?  A weekend?

    I've been thinking mostly of doing it at 9:00 pm, >Eastern< time zone,
    on Tuesdays.

    Folks on SCREEN-L and around the Internet are in so many different time
    zones, it's hard to know what time would be most convenient.

    Any suggestions would be welcome.

    More details will follow when I've had a chance to test this out a bit
    more.

 | Jeremy Butler                                                          |
 | SCREEN-L Coordinator                     [log in to unmask] |
 | Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |