SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Haim Callev <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:23:59 -0800
Dear Screen-L members,

I have written a book dealing with a somewhat neglected problem in
mainstream film theory -- the representation of the characters' interior
life. I believe that there is an inherent difficulty in depicting the
characters' mental flow (thoughts, emotions, fantasies) in a medium
based on the cinematographic reproduction of exterior visible and
audible action. The incongruity between the 'raw materials' and the
mimetic objective calls for inventive narrative solutions. And indeed
some filmmakers have been struggling to overcome this deficiency and
have come up with ingenious solutions. However, the potentialities of
the medium to depict interior life are far from being fully explored. In
writing the book I hope to draw attention to the problem through the
analysis of some first steps made by Alain Resnais in this direction.

You are invited to look at a presentation of the book at:
http://freeweb.digiweb.com/arts/optimus/stream-i.htm

If the issue is in the range of your interests, I'll be glad to
discuss it with you?

Best regards,

Haim Callev

University of Alabama.