SCREEN-L Archives

August 2012, Week 1

From:
Ethan Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:11:16 -0500
I am curious whether anyone knows about "The Story of a Family," a 1960 NBC produced television documentary about the Robertson family of Amarillo, Texas. I was given a copy of the program by a member of the Robertson family, but have had no luck finding anything else out about it.

The program is narrated by Jane Wyatt a la Person-to-Person, but with its use of dramatizations as well as interviews (and interest in family drama), seems also an important forerunner of reality dramas. The show is written, directed, and produced by Joseph Krumgold, who wikipedia says was a Newbery-award winning children's author that also made a film about Hispanic workers in rural America that was sponsored by the state department.

Seems to me in important piece of TV history, well before "An American Family." I'd be interested to talk to anyone who knows about it or might be interested in working with it.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org