SCREEN-L Archives

November 2021, Week 4

From:
Rachel Shand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2021 12:58:27 +0000
Dear SCREEN-L Subscribers,

We would like to announce a new publication from John Libbey Publishing, which we hope will be of interest.

Haunted by Vertigo
Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic
Edited by Sidney Gottlieb & Donal Martin

https://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/9780861967421/haunted-by-vertigo/

Receive a 20% discount online*:
CSLF2021
*Valid until 11:59 GMT, 30th June 2022. Discount only applies to the CAP website.

When Richard Schickel stated unequivocally in 1972 that "We're living in a Hitchcock world, all right", he did so without even mentioning the film that now stands at the top of the Sight & Sound Greatest Films of All Time poll: Vertigo. That omission needs to be redressed when we think about the Hitchcock world we live in now. Haunted by Vertigo: Hitchcock's Masterpiece Then and Now gathers essays that offer a variety of approaches to what many consider to be Hitchcock's signature film, one that shows him operating at full strength as a cinematic artist portraying some of the defining elements of modern life: romantic exhilaration and anxiety, the attractiveness and elusiveness of love, and the interpenetration of pain, pleasure, life, and death in our psyche and our culture.
The pieces in this volume explore numerous aspects of how, broadly speaking, Vertigo is about characters haunted by memories and desires; how the film itself is haunted by numerous literary and cinematic fore- bearers; and how it continues to haunt not only filmmakers but artists working in other media as well. Essays that concentrate on formative or interpretive contexts of the film, including Greek mythology, early German cinema, film noir, an ensemble of (mostly) French writers and filmmakers, and modern and postmodern art are complemented by others that present close readings of hidden details in the film, its use of multiple gazes that underscore its meaning and drama, the darker sides of even gestures of love and hospitality, and how the film embodies Hitchcock's "late style". Taken together the essays in the volume reinforce how Vertigo is, like the majestic trees visited by the two main characters in the film, sempervirens – an enduring masterpiece of then, now, and, we can safely say, the future.
Sidney Gottlieb is Professor Communication and Media Studies at Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, Connecticut, U.S.
Donal Martin, a statistician, filmmaker, and classical fine art analogue photographer, was the organizer of two international film conferences on Vertigo in Dublin, in 2017 and 2018.
With all best wishes,

Combined Academic Publishers

John Libbey Publishing | October 2021 | 250pp | 9780861967421 | PB | £36.00*
*Price subject to change.

https://screensite.org/