SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Laughing H <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 13:51:37 -0400
I am doing a project on how movies served as an opiate for the masses in
the 1930's, you know like the Roman Bread and Circuses. They produced
happy and rich films with glamourous people to take the minds of the
masses off their current hardships.

Also about the forties with film mainly serving the purpose of pulling
together the support of the people behind the Allied powers with pro
democracy and negative fascist ideas and stories in the movies.

I would greatly appreciate any movies that exemplify this or any books
that examine this issue.

Thank you.

Matthew Burdorff
Charlotte, North Carolina