SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Fiona Oceanstar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 91 00:27:38 -0500
Eyes of Ithaca writes:
>I was told in fiction film theory why people go to horror films.

Wow!  Really??  Gee whiz--what's the answer?

>According to my prof. (and he claims to be able to back it up) people go to
>horror films to relieve sexual tension.  This explains why it draws mostly
>young audiences who are still trying to work out their sexual identity.
>I don't understand how this works, but it is at least a potential reason.

And I was right to be excited, too.  This is a more bizarre--and thus
more entertaining--so-called "explanation" than Iwould ever have dared
to hope for.  I love the idea that this prof "claims to be able to back
it up," implying as it does an experiment of some kind.  Can't you just
imagine it?  All these nubile young women and men hooked up to skin gal-
vanometers, electroencephalograms, penile tumescence and vaginal lubri-
cation recorders, and all the other paraphenalia of state-of-the-art
sexuality research: there they are, watching "Toolbox Killer," watching
those drills and nails go piercing through human flesh.  Great data.

								--Fiona