SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Paul Ramaeker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 14:55:58 -0600
Arthur Lizie Jr writes:

)This has undoubtedly come up before, but does anyone have a good
)definition of film genre?  I have just completed an exhaustive literature
)review on film genre theory (not criticism/endless self-reflexive babbling/
)interpretation) as a means of understanding film as a communication process,
)and continue to be dumbstruck (I know, how can you tell the difference?) at
)the lack of theoretical grounding for genre theory.

Steve Neale, who has already been recommended to you, and is always a
careful and thoughtful writer on genre issues (if not always right).  Also,
I suspect that Noel Carroll's _Philosophy of Horror_ might provide an
interesting take on genre definition, particularly since you are obviously
sensitive to the philosophical questions involved.  And, Noel always
provides an entertaining read.
I also think that in terms of your project of studying film as a
communication process, you'll have to take into account Bordwell's
examination of narrational processes in _Narration in the Fiction Film-,
where he throws the idea of filmic narration according to a communication
model into quite a bit of question.
(Luke Delwiche writes: "READING TOO MUCH BORDWELL?!? Is that possible?"; to
which I reply: Right on, man!)