SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Kate Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:27:12 +1100
Does anyone else think it's strange that Gwyneth Paltrow won the Best
Actress Oscar over Cate Blanchett? I know Gwyneth is a popular choice but I
don't think she's a very versatile or convincing actor, she was adequate
for the part in SIL but it didn't seem to be a difficult or deep role.
Cate's performance in Elizabeth was very convincing and I lost all
awareness that it was a part she was playing. It makes me question the
purpose of the award, I know it is driven by studio PR but I thought there
was some pretence at giving it for the best performance in the films
nominated.

Kate Butler

Kate Butler
Department of Visual Communication
RMIT University, Australia
 "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
   -- Vice President Dan Quayle.