SCREEN-L Archives

June 2016, Week 4

From:
Joseph Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:56:59 -0400
*The latest issue of FILM CRITICISM is now online: *
http://www.filmcriticismjournal.org/

Issue 40.2 is a special guest-edited issue on The Aesthetics of Online
Videos; the issue is organized by Stephen Groening, author of *Cinema
Beyond Territory*, and features the following articles (with a 2nd batch to
follow in July):

   - Introduction: The Aesthetics of Online Videos - Stephen Groening
   - Eliciting Euphoria Online: The Aesthetics of 'ASMR' Video Culture -
   Rob Gallagher
   - Beyond Fashion Tips and Hijab Tutorials: The Aesthetic Style of
   Islamic Lifestyle Videos - Kristin M. Peterson
   - Amateurism and the Aesthetics of Lego Stop-Motion on YouTube - Shannon
   Brownlee
   - Race at the Interface: Rendering Blackness on WorldStarHipHop.com -
   Lauren M. Cramer
   - "How Do You 'Do' Bokeh?" The Aesthetics of How-to Videos about
   Background Blur and Eroticized Women - Michele White

*Coming in July:* Leah Shafer on cat videos, Natasha Seegert on animal
perspectives, Benedict Stork on videos of police violence, and Richard
Cante on YouTube testimonials.

*Call for Papers and more about FILM CRITICISM*

We are currently seeking submissions to be published on a rolling basis in
future issues.

FC is a peer-reviewed publication now in its 40th year of continuous
publication, making it the third oldest academic film journal in the United
States.  Our aim is to bring together work in the field of film and media
studies that foregrounds textual criticism as a primary value. Our
readership is generally academic, but we strive to publish material that is
accessible to a broader popular audience.

While our title suggests a focus on film, we are equally interested in
articles that engage moving-image media of all forms, such as television or
online video. FC is also committed to developing criticism that derives
from a cultural studies tradition -- that is, criticism that situates media
texts in a political context and recognizes the role culture plays in
reproducing and maintaining social and power relations.

For more information about FC, please visit:

Website: http://allegheny.edu/filmcriticism
Email: [log in to unmask]
Facebook: www.facebook.com/fcjournal

--