SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:33:18 -0600
Haven't seen BREAKING THE WAVES yet, but in response to Dr. Greenberg:

First, PAGE OF MADNESS by Kinugasa (spelling is important, after all).
Second, woman redeeming a feckless man who gets martyred or at least not
happy in the process is a staple of Japanese literature and film.  For
instance, Mizoguchi's 1939 classic ZANGIKU MONOGATARI (Story of the Last
Chrysanthemums) and other Mizo films.  From literature, this may be found
in the works of Izumi Kyoka.

David