SCREEN-L Archives

November 2020, Week 3

From:
"Peaslee, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2020 04:41:11 +0000
*APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING!*

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Please see below for information regarding my College’s current recruitment cycle for the PhD program in Media & Communication. I am, of course, available to answer any questions or make referrals as necessary.

Best,
Rob

Texas Tech University College of Media & Communication

Ph.D. in Media & Communication—Now Taking Applications

The College of Media and Communication at Texas Tech (Lubbock, TX, USA) is accepting applications for its doctoral program to start Fall 2021.

In particular, we invite applicants interested in studies/research in areas where our faculty focus, as we are actively engaged in the ICA, NCA, AEJMC, and BEA communities.

Because faculty currently accepting advisees specialize in a number of communication and media domains, we invite applicants interested in a number of scholarship areas including, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:

• Advertising and PR

• Communication and Technology

• Crisis and Risk Communication

• Critical studies

• Health Communication

• Interactive and Entertainment Media

• Interpersonal, Intergroup, and Family Communication

• International and Intercultural Communication

• Journalism and Visual Communication

• Media Processes and Effects

• Media Psychophysiology

• Organizational Communication

• Political Communication

• Science Communication

• Speech and Rhetoric

You can find more information about our key areas of research here: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/comc/research/

And descriptions of core courses here: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/comc/graduate/courses/

You are strongly encouraged to contact one or more faculty members that most closely align with your interests, in advance of applying: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/comc/faculty/

Applicants are required to submit a vitae, cover letter, personal statement detailing specific interests, and writing samples. We are NOT requiring GRE scores for this cohort of applicants due to potential COVID19 hardships or barriers; writing samples will be carefully considered in its place.

Best-fit applicants will likely have a master’s degree in media or communication disciplines, however those with other backgrounds are considered. It is necessary to indicate the faculty you are interested in working with, so applicants are encouraged to reach out to the program director if unsure about fit or potential advisers.

The deadline for priority consideration is January 15, 2021.

Program requirements and the application information can be found here: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/comc/graduate/apply/

Admitted students will serve as graduate assistants, supporting teaching and/or research activities.

We expect to admit five fully-funded positions (tuition/fees/stipend), although more may be accepted if additional funding becomes available. At least three years of funding are guaranteed, with the potential for a fourth year of funding.

If you have questions about the program in general, please contact Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Doctoral Program Director, Dr. Coy Callison at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

———————————————————————
Robert Moses Peaslee, PhD
[he, him, his]
Associate Professor & Chair
Department of Journalism & Creative Media Industries

Now available:
THE SUPERVILLAIN READER (co-editor with Robert G. Weiner)
University Press of Mississippi
Online: www.upress.state.ms.us/Books/T/The-Supervillain-Reader<http://www.upress.state.ms.us/Books/T/The-Supervillain-Reader>

Coordinator, TTU International Film Series
Faculty Affiliate, Thomas Jay Harris Institute for Hispanic and International Communication
Area Chair - Graphic Novels, Comics, & Popular Culture - Southwest Popular/American Culture Association

College of Media & Communication
Texas Tech University
MS 3082
Lubbock, TX 79409

806.834.2562

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org