SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Bahlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bahlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:56:13 +1030
Well, I posted this suggestion a while back, so I guess I'll try to do this myself.

I will collate and post our very own Screen-L Oscar winners after the actual ceremony - to see how close/different we were to the Academy.

Please use the official nominations below as a guide.

I will collate your votes in TWO categories.

Firstly I want your vote according to the nominations list. You can cut and paste the list below and indicate your selection in an appropriate (and clear!) way.

Secondly I want a vote according to your own ideas - they can include other actors, directors, etc. that you deem to have 'missed out' on gaining official recognition this time around. These results, in particular, could be very interesting.
The second vote I would like to have limited to only Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Actor in a Supporting Role and Actress in a Supporting Role - in order to preserve my sanity.

Also I would like to compile a list according to the second list above, but instead of 'Best', substitute the word, 'Worst'. Now is the time to have it out!

Please e-mail me directly at [log in to unmask] in order to preserve your anonimity and protect the integrity of your voting. Hopefully my mail server is more reliable than the U.S. Mail system! (What am I saying?!)

Happy voting

Mark Bahlin

BEST PICTURE

AMERICAN BEAUTY
THE CIDER HOUSE RULES
THE GREEN MILE
THE INSIDER
THE SIXTH SENSE

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Russell Crowe - The Insider
Richard Farnsworth - The Straight Story
Sean Penn - Sweet And Lowdown
Kevin Spacey - American Beauty
Denzel Washington - The Hurricane

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Michael Caine - The Cider House Rules
Tom Cruise - Magnolia
Michael Clarke Duncan - The Green Mile
Jude Law - The Talented Mr. Ripley
Haley Joel Osment - The Sixth Sense

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Annette Bening - American Beauty
Janet McTeer - Tumbleweeds
Julianne Moore - The End Of The Affair
Meryl Streep - Music Of The Heart
Hilary Swank - Boys Don't Cry

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Toni Collette - The Sixth Sense
Angelina Jolie - Girl, Interrupted
Catherine Keener - Being John Malkovich
Samantha Morton - Sweet And Lowdown
Chloë Sevigny - Boys Don't Cry

ART DIRECTION

ANNA AND THE KING
THE CIDER HOUSE RULES
SLEEPY HOLLOW
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY
TOPSY-TURVY

CINEMATOGRAPHY

AMERICAN BEAUTY - Conrad L. Hall
THE END OF THE AFFAIR - Roger Pratt
THE INSIDER - Dante Spinotti
SLEEPY HOLLOW - Emmanuel Lubezki
SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS - Robert Richardson

DIRECTING

AMERICAN BEAUTY - Sam Mendes
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH - Spike Jonze
THE CIDER HOUSE RULES - Lasse Hallstrom
THE INSIDER - Michael Mann
THE SIXTH SENSE - M. Night Shyamalan

FILM EDITING

AMERICAN BEAUTY
THE CIDER HOUSE RULES
THE INSIDER
THE MATRIX
THE SIXTH SENSE

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER
CARAVAN
EAST-WEST
SOLOMON AND GAENOR
UNDER THE SUN

MAKEUP

AUSTIN POWERS: THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME
BICENTENNIAL MAN
LIFE
TOPSY-TURVY

ORIGINAL SCORE

AMERICAN BEAUTY - Thomas Newman
ANGELA'S ASHES - John Williams
THE CIDER HOUSE RULES - Rachel Portman
THE RED VIOLIN - John Corigliano
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY - Gabriel Yared

ORIGINAL SONG

SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER & UNCUT - Blame Canada (Trey Parker and Marc Shaiman)
MUSIC OF THE HEART - Music Of The Heart (Diane Warren)
MAGNOLIA - Save Me (Aimee Mann)
TOY STORY 2 - When She Loved Me (Randy Newman)
TARZAN - You'll Be In My Heart (Phil Collins)

SOUND

THE GREEN MILE
THE INSIDER
THE MATRIX