SCREEN-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Ron Leming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:42:32 -0600
" There are other examples of this, not in horror films, including (at
least according to film history books-- I've never seen it) the entirety
of Lady in the Lake, and also (have seen it) Russian Ark."

Yes, it does occur in Lady in the Lake. And that's the great weakness of
the film. The entire thing is lensed with this POV. and it's damnably
irritating. In horror movies, the POV shot like this is usually of brief
duration and used essentially to shock. An entire film using what is,
essentially, just a trick, is lessened by it.
--
Every time I take my hermaphrodite dogs to the vet, they just stand
there, transfixed.

http://www.bonestructure.net