SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1993 13:52:35 EDT
* The guy you're thinking of is Dennis Christopher (Breaking Away).
* I was thinking it could have been Robby Benson, but on second thought,
* it was Christopher!
*
Breaking Away is a wonderfully unassuming film about growing up. I think one
of the coolest things about it is that it doesn't contain any of the Porky's
style T&A so common to "boys become men" pictures. There are two romances,
but one only has two scenes, one of which is them applyign for a marraige
lisence. Christopher's character has a romance with a coed, but all they
do is talk and hold hands and ride double on a bike, and at the end he
doesn't get the girl.

As long as we were discussing portrayals of women in film, the roles in
Breaking Away were excellent ones--very honest portrayals.

--
Mark Bunster                      |I'm a Christian, and my ears are not
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |garbage cans.