SCREEN-L Archives

October 1998, Week 2

Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:00:43 -0500
From:
"Richard J. Leskosky" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
At 11:43 PM -0400 10/6/98, Lang Thompson wrote:
>A couple of years back there was a discussion either here or on the Godard
>list about a director sometimes referred to as the "German Godard" whose
>films are almost unknown in the US.  Any idea who that was?  Also, Oshima
>was apparently at one time called the Japanese Godard which must have been
>based on only a couple of his films but what other directors have been
>strongly compared to Godard?

"Der kleine Godard" is Hellmuth Costard.  He even made a film titled "Der
Kleine Godard an das Kuratorium junger deutscher Film" (1976).  He was
obviously a politically  committed filmmaker but was (still is?) rather
more experimental than Godard.  For example, his "Fußball wie noch nie"
("Soccer as Never Before" 1970) used a standard multi-camera set-up to
cover a soccer match, but instead of following the ball (the action), all
the cameras focused on the star player of one team (who actually turned out
to do relatively little) for the entire duration of the game and even
followed him into the locker room at half time.  Another of his films
(sorry, I can't recall the exact title, and  IMDb doesn't seem to list it)
followed the routine activities of a housewife  during the course of a day
(though not in real time) with the twist being that the housewife was
played by a male actor.

Richard J. Leskosky

Richard J. Leskosky                             Office phone: (217) 244-2704
Assistant Director                      FAX: (217) 244-2223
Unit for Cinema Studies         <http://www.uiuc.edu/unit/cinema>
2117 Foreign Languages Building
707 S. Mathews Avenue
Urbana, Illinois 61801