SCREEN-L Archives

September 1993

From:
Philip Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1993 10:53:20 +22304700
We recently acquired a 16 mm print of Robert Bresson's Mouchette from
Festival Films that is 81 mins long (2907 feet).

Does anyone know if there is more than one version of this film?
The Monthly Film Bulletin gives its running time as 90 min. This appears
to have been repeated in The Films of Robert Bresson (Movie Paperbacks,
1969), Time Out, and Bloomsbury's Foreign Film Guide. Further searching
reveals that the original Variety review in 1967 gives the running time as
85 min., the Motion Picture Guide gives 80 min, and a filmography in the
1973 edition of the International Film Guide gives 82 min.

We are not aware that any of Bresson's films exist in other than a single
version. Is Mouchette an exception?

Philip Jackson
National Library of Australia