SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 3

From:
Nancy San Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:07:01 -0700
The UCSC Women of Color Research Cluster seeks submissions for the ninth
annual Women of Color Film and Video Festival to take place on May 5 and
6, 2000 at the University of California, Santa Cruz.  This festival will
focus on violence against women of color and is organized in conjunction
with the national conference, The Color of Violence: Violence Against
Women of Color, on April 28 and 29, 2000 at UCSC.

Over the past eight festivals, the UCSC Women of Color Film and Video
Festival has become an acclaimed event on local, national, and
international levels and has forged a critical space for women of color
artists, scholars, and activists.  We have combined exhibition with
scholarship, activism, and pedagogy in order to foreground the crucial
issues of our time, issues such as the dismantling of affirmative action,
diverse forms of resistance, and the ways in which power is mediated
through the social categories of race, gender, class, sexuality, and
nationality.

Each year, the festival's organizing committee assumes an individual theme
from which to examine and discuss the aesthetic, cultural, and political
grounds upon which women of color are imaged and positioned.  This year,
the Women of Color Film and Video Festival foregrounds violence against
women of color in its myriad and pervasive forms.  The program will unite
activists, scholars, and artists to strategize around topics such as
attacks on Indian Treaty rights, hate crimes against lesbians of color,
reversals of affirmative action, forced sterilization and medical
experimentation on communities of color, colonialism as gender violence,
and the rise of English Only and anti-immigration initiatives.  We will
also host several women of color filmmakers and media artists whose
collected works intervene in interlocking structures of violence
nationally and globally. In addition, the festival will include a workshop
for women of color filmmakers and media artists about various artistic and
activist image-making practices.  This year, we are pleased to announce
that the festival will include performance pieces and that the program
will travel to other venues as a means of raising awareness about the
violence in our lives and the creative ways in which women of color
filmmakers and media artists envision alternative worlds through desire,
activism, and fantasy.

The 9th Annual Women of Color Film and Video Festival: The Color of
Violence calls for the submission of features, shorts, documentaries, and
experimental and animated works.  Digitized shorts are welcomed for
inclusion on our website.  Submissions in VHS Format, Press Packets, and
Artist Biographies are due by January 14, 2000.  All works submitted must
include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return; those without will
be added to our library and will become resources for the educational and
activist projects of the UCSC Women of Color Research Cluster.

Please send submissions to:

The Women of Color Research Cluster
Oakes College, UCSC
Santa Cruz, CA 95064