SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:53:16 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]>
 [log in to unmask] writes:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know whether Flaherty was alone when he shot Nanook or if he was
> accompanied with an operator? And did he had one or two cameras with him?
> I'm sorry if these are obvious questions, I know there's a lot of
> litterature on Nanook, but I have nothing at hand at present and I need
> those informations as soon as possible. Thanks to anybody who can help me on
> that!
>
> DENIS SIMARD               |      [log in to unmask]

Flaherty was alone, in the sense of white, proffessional assistants,
but he utilised the the local community when and where he could.  He gave
great credence to the local population for bringing him the vast quantitites
of clean water he needed for developing (he developed and edited on
site) and for generally helping out.  He gives an account of this
in an article in an out of date book called (I think) Film
and Film Makers, which has had various editions.  It's a series of
articles and profiles on film directors, mostly transcribed
interviews.

--
Morgan

"Nunc demum intellego," dixit Winnie ille Pu.  "Stultus et
delusus fui," dixit "et ursus sine ullo cerebro sum."