SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

Sender:
From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:19:16 CST
Don Larsson writes:
>There were of course people who protested Disney's version of America while
>he reigned.

I happened to pick up a book about the Mouseketeers in a used book store
yesterday (incidentally, my only interest in them is smug ridicule...),
and lo-and-behold among the pictures were one of a Black man wearing
full mousketeer regalia, regaling a mixed-race (well, at least black and
white) gathering of similarly-uniformed children with Disneyish homilies
(no doubt). Another photo showed a Black children's dance troupe from
L.A. that apparently performed on a MMC broadcast. I didn't check, but
the book design suggested early 1960's vintage. I dimly recall as a kid
when I did take the MMC somewhat seriously as a source of entertain-
ment (choices were limited, OK ?), having seen the aforementioned
Black mousketeer-man occasionally. Which I forgot about while in
full rant day before yesterday. Sorry Walt. (BTW This doesn't let you off
the hook for all your other sins).

David Smith