SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Constance Atwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 1994 14:03:48 -0700
John, I don't disagree with your position on censorship as regards to
language, per se - but the wholemeal,
throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater approach does not allow, to my
mind, for the acknowledgement of real changes that have taken place in
the way people treat each other based on sensitivity about language.  I'm
just saying it's a bit more complicated than PC telling people who can't
think how they should think...to offer an example; I have a friend who
drives a convertable.  Since Thelma and Louise came out, truckers have
stopped bothering her.  Maybe they don't think any different thoughts,
but they know that their behavior is offensive.  I am one of those recent
college graduates who still believe that artists have a responsiblity to
aim their arrows carefully, and with skill.  Is the character in your film
calling his partner a 'dyke' serving some artistic purpose, or is it
aimed at a laugh/shock for entertainment's sake?