SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

Sender:
From:
Tom Byers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 22:41:08 EDT
Department of English, University of Louisville
Phone: (502)852-6770 or (502)852-6801. Fax: (502)852-4182.
James Castonguay opens up a really interesting point re rape narratives. For
further evidence of the ways race is crucial in these matters: I find it
really amazing that the rape narrative as excuse for US action has NOT been
successfully mobilized re Bosnia. Leaving aside the question of what would be
the right stance for anyone to take over there (I leave it aside because I
just don't know enough to have an informed opinion--something that I admit
doesn't always stop me, but it does here), I think it's nonetheless truly
astonishing that the stories of mass rape over there have not led to more
public and media pressure. Is it just because the situation is too complex?
But when did that ever stop the media? Or is it because most of the raped
women are Muslims, hence don't "count" in terms of the narrative paradigm that
James talks about in connection w/ BoaN and the Gulf War?

bitnet tbbyer01@ulkyvm; internet [log in to unmask]
Thomas B. Byers
Department of English/University of Louisville
Louisville KY 40292