SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Kate Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 16:18:26 +1000
Putting together a first year subject component on the screen production of
gender, I am looking for movies which deal with masculinity and
consumerism, particularly images of men shopping.

It strikes me that we most often see a man "shopping" for clothes when he
is sponsoring a female shopper, e.g. _Pretty Woman_.  It's his credit card,
but she's doing the shopping.  Is this because shopping for clothes,
especially the trying-on of roles which it involves, creates the impression
of both vanity and anxiety, and this sits uneasily with the masculine
screen image?  Still?  This seems like an unsatisfactory conclusion.

Otherwise, I have vague impressions of men shopping for guns, cars and
occasionally gadgets, or movies where jokes are made about men's
inadequacies as domestic shoppers.

Can anyone help with examples of any of the above?

Kate Bowles
University of Wollongong