SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Henry Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1993 12:51:32 EDT
WHAT I WATCH ON TV
Henry Jenkins
 (Well, I figure we should do these things the way TV Guide does it.)
Many of my "must-see" programs have already been mentioned: ST:NG, ST:DS9,
 Northern Exposure,
The Simpsons. I would also second Amanda Aaron's endorsement of PICKET FENCES
as the best new series of the year, one which deals with risky topics in a
remarkably sensative and interesting way and the characters, especially the
teenage daughter, are wonderful!

Other favorite shows not mentioned:
a) BOB -- I skipped most of the last Bob Newhart series and did not expect
to like this one, but the writing is great and many of the characters really
tickle my fancy.
b) FLYING BLIND: A literate, witty Fox comedy? A contradiction in terms.
 Actually not. This "romantic"/errotic comedy has two first rate performers who
 play
around with the "woman on top" tradition of comedy in an interesting way.
c) BROOKLYN BRIDGE: My warm fuzzy fix for the week.
d) YOUNG INDIANA JONES: Uneven, but often lively with revisionist looks at
key events in 20th century global history. It generates good discussions with
my son.
e) TRIBECA/HOMICIDE: I saw the first episodes of both series, liked them a lot,
realized that I didn't have time to watch them during the semester, so I have
been storing up episodes on tape to enjoy during the rerun season.

I watched LA LAW for what, five or six years, from the very beginning, and then
went cold-turkey about three or four episodes into this season. I don't miss
it any more. Now that its scheduled against Picket Fences, I find there is
no contest. It isn't enough to tell me it doesn't suck as much anymore to
reclaim me as a viewer, not with Picket Fences as competition.

My guilty pleasure: WWF Wrestling. The only sport on television that I take
seriously.