SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 2

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:00:16 -0500
Following up on my e-mail earlier today, I omitted some of Frank Capra's
works from my list of media movies. May I be crushed by ten thousand cans
of film!
The most important Capra film in this regard is MEET JOHN DOE (1941),
though we should include THE POWER OF THE PRESS (1928), MR. DEEDS GOES TO
TOWN (1936), and MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON (1939). Even IT HAPPENED ONE
NIGHT(1934) touches on the tabloid press.  Radio was also a powerful medium
before TV, though it appears to have received less attention from Hollywood
compared to the press - probably because the press was more visual
cinematically. Radio was often used as a background for musical comedy,
such as the BIG BROADCAST series by Paramount.  Most of the movies I've
listed are on video, but if you have any specific questions I'll try to
answer them.
> From: jmoran <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Hollywood Narrative Films About Media Ethics
> Date: Thursday, January 07, 1999 6:06 PM
>
> > I am trying to accumulate a list of Hollywood films whose primary
> > narrative emphasis dramatizes an issue of media ethics.
> > Examples include Wag the Dog, Quiz SHow, Bulworth, Natural Born
Killers,