SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Greg Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 23:22:39 -0500
On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Toni Robinson wrote:

> Has anyone out there seen My Family- Mi Familia?  I would like to show the
> film to my HS Spanish class, and I wanted to know some the themes and issues
> explored in the film.  Any comments on sex, violence and the use of language
> (both Spanish and English) in the film would be appreciated also.  Thanks.

> Toni Robinson
>
> "A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well
> than a fool can see from the top of the mountain ."

I saw My Family/Mi Familia last summer and would highly recommend it.  It
is a the story of a Mexican-American family that has immigrated to Los
Angeles in the 1920's.  The film avoids the usual stereotypical depictions
of Mexican-Americans as gang members, instead focusing on the rich
heritage and history of a multigenerational family.  Edward James Olmos
plays the narrator, the youngest son writing about his family.  Jimmy
Smits plays another son, troubled because he has witnessed the death of
his older brother, whom he looked up to and admired.

Writer/Director Gregory Nava and Writer/Producer Anna Thomas may be
remember for El Norte, an excellent film from 1983 dealing with illegal
aliens.

The film is rated R, primarily for violence (scene involving the death of
the brother mentioned), and a fairly graphic scene in which a mother dies
in childbirth.  There may have been some scenes of sexuality, though I
cannot remember for sure.  As I advise all my parents at the library, you
may wish to preview it first before showing it to your students and judge
for yourself.

Good Luck,
Greg

    * Greg Bryant *