SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Sender:
From:
Ken Nagelberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 91 21:25:45 CST
     Cassandra Van Buren's comments about cultural conventions seemed so
coherent that I almost breezed by the HUGE assumption she makes when she
says that the disenfranchised can better see through cultural conventions
than others.  Doesn't that assume that cultural conventions are the product
of the dominant ideology (a Marxist assumption that I'm not sure even all
Marxists would agree with!)?  Furthermore, why wouldn't those who are dominated
be just as likely to be (or not be) myopic about the culture they are immersed
in.  Personal comment:  I think Wiseman does a wonderful job of dissecting
cultural conventions although I wouldn't call him "disenfranchised."  And
if what Cassandra says is true, I guess we ought to write off any documentaries
done by white, middle-class males!  :-)  (did I do that right?)