SCREEN-L Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:57:12 -0500
Louie: As some of the replies to your query have indicated, the major
difference between classic and current film noir femmes fatales was the
Hollywood Production Code, which was finally abandoned in the mid sixties.
While it was acceptable to show greed (allowing for "compensating moral
values") overt sexuality was not allowed - particularly female. After all,
it was the aggressive, if comical, sexual come-ons of Mae West  - and the
androgony of Marlene Dietrich - which finally made the Hays Office
implement the Code - thanks mainly to the Catholic Church's Legion of
Decency  and its threat to boycott all Paramount Studios movies. (Both Mae
and Marlene were under contract to the studio). Also, social movements such
as female equality helped the neo-noir females to show their sexuality, as
well as their classic-noir greed and manipulation of the often weak male
protagonist. A worthwhile exercise is to compare the 1946 and 1981 versions
of THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, particularly the seduction scenes. Also,
DOUBLE INDEMNITY in 1944 and BODY HEAT (a virtual remake) in 1981.
Peter Warren