SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 16:22:25 CST
<<<In my research on silent cinema I found very little written on the
subject of movement (objects within the frame, camera, movement created
by editing etc.) in Western scholarship. Closely connected issues of
tempo and rhythm also received little attention. My problem is mainly
methodological: How does one account for movement, tempo and rhythm in
the analysis of film style?>>>

There is an excellent book called "The Classical Hollywood Cinema" by David
Boardwell, Janet Staiger and Kristin Thompson published by Columbia
University Press in 1985. It is full of the kind of references and examples
you describe and has many helpful photographs and diagrams. It is sometimes a
little heavy going, but is well worth the effort.
Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts-NYC