SCREEN-L Archives

November 2005, Week 3

Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:59:45 -0600
Hello,

We just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on television and media culture is out. This issue features columns by Shana
Agid, John Nguyet Erni, Heather Hendershot, Derek Kompare, David Lavery, Tom
McCourt, and Vicki Mayer.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"When I Grow Up I Want to Be A Boy: Transgeneration's Meditation on the 'Real'"
by Shana Agid:
Thoughts on Transgeneration and TV's quest to create a viable “normal”
transgender person.

"War, 'Incendiary Media,' and International Law (Part II)" by John Nguyet Erni:
The second of a three part series on media and warfare from a human rights
perspective, this column explores the human rights norms that justify the
legality of media intervention.

"Comedy is a Woman in Trouble" by Heather Hendershot:
Questioning Comedy Central's fixation on the male audience.

"We Are So Screwed: Invasion TV" by Derek Kompare:
Making sense of the supernatural on prime-time.

"Irony Irony: The Mission (Accomplished) of The Daily Show" by David Lavery:
Sham or not, The Daily Show remains deeply committed to its mission:
"truthiness".

"The Cost of Not Selling Out" by Tom McCourt:
In an age when TV ads are the new radio, what does it take to avoid selling
out.

"Reflections on Katrina in Brazil" by Vicki Mayer:
Vicki Mayer watches New Orleans endure Hurricane Katrina while on sabbatical in
the Amazon.

We look forward to your visit.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff